Lex Family Science Night
Science Night was a new event that we hosted for the first time during the 2019-20 school year. The activities were provided by the Children’s Discovery Museum and facilitated by parent volunteers at Lex.
Schedule: 5:00-5:45 PM Set Up
5:45-6:30 PM Volunteer Training
6:30-8:00 PM Event open to Families
8:00-8:30 PM Clean Up
The theme of the night was Amusement Park Science! Spins, drops, and twists of amusement parks have thrilled both kids and adults for ages. But, how often do we take the time to think about the science involved in the loop-de-loops of roller coasters, the vertical motion of the carousel, and the wackiness of Fun Houses? In this family science night theme, children and parents together explored gravity as they created miniature roller coasters, experienced the power of springs as they made their own pinball machines, and tested their strength while learning about air and water power.
Benefits of Family Science Nights with Children's Discovery Museum
• Promoted inquiry-based science education
• Included professional development in science for teachers
• Brought together families and teachers for a special evening event
• Encouraged parents and children to learn together while participating in hands-on science activities
• Provided science curricula for teachers to use in the classroom